HISTORY OF PASCO COUNTY, FLORIDA

Post Offices

Sources: The lists of postmasters with dates of appointment were taken from the U. S. Postal Service web site, except for Ashley, Bee Tree, Carmel, Cedar, Hopeville, Fivay City, Pleasant Plains, and Fort Taylor, which were taken from pascocemeteries.org. Other historical information on this page was provided by Eddie Herrmann. This page was last revised on Sept. 27, 2017.


ABBOTT - HEGMAN - ABBOTT - ZEPHYRHILLS. SE ¼ of S11 T26 R21 (from 01-09-1888 P.O. application). Established February 2, 1888. Changed November 22, 1890 to Hegman. SW ¼ of S11 T26 R21 (from 01-05-1891 P.O. application). Changed February 3, 1892 to Abbott. According to research by Eddie Herrmann, on May 31, 1910, the Abbott post office was discontinued and the Zephyrhills post office was established. The USPS web site merely shows a change of name from Abbott to Zephyrhills on that date. The USPS web site has “Hyman,” rather than Hegman; this seems to be incorrect. On Nov. 21, 1924, the Dade City Banner reported, “The postoffice has been moved into the building on Fifth Avenue recently built by the postmistress, Mrs. Frazier. This building, when fully completed, will insure better lighting and more room for the postoffice. It will also be possible to have the flag hoisted over the buildings, as is usually done at all postoffices when the building is owned by the government.”

Mrs. Amanda M. IsaacsPostmaster02/02/1888
William MotePostmaster03/03/1890
William MotePostmaster11/22/1890
William B. SmithPostmaster07/08/1891
William MotePostmaster02/03/1892
David A. ThompsonPostmaster09/05/1893
William MotePostmaster09/29/1897
Mortimer P. ArnoldPostmaster07/26/1900
Willis M. GeigerPostmaster04/13/1901
Josephine B. HenningtonPostmaster05/10/1905
Josephine B. HenningtonPostmaster05/31/1910
James L. GeigerPostmaster07/25/1913
Mrs. Edith H. FrazierPostmaster03/18/1922
Malcolm M. ManerActing Postmaster10/07/1926
Malcolm M. ManerPostmaster12/21/1926
Mrs. Lola D. GallActing Postmaster09/15/1934
Mrs. Lola D. GallPostmaster02/11/1937
Charles J. BentleyActing Postmaster12/31/1955
Carl Davis Lippincott Jr.Acting Postmaster07/26/1957
Carl David Lippincott Jr.Postmaster09/06/1957
Anthony Cueto Jr.Officer-In-Charge03/28/1977
Merrill K. MerselOfficer-In-Charge08/12/1977
Warren B. TaylorPostmaster01/28/1978
Richard H. ShermanOfficer-In-Charge03/20/1981
Richard W. DupreOfficer-In-Charge05/21/1981
John J. Finnerty IIIPostmaster08/22/1981
Thomas H. Testa Jr.Officer-In-Charge01/31/2002
Thomas H. Testa Jr.Postmaster09/07/2002
Shelah MarshOfficer-In-Charge11/08/2004
Russell HollandOfficer-In-Charge03/21/2005
Douglas M. FiedlerPostmaster06/25/2005


AMELIA. NE ¼ of S25 T24 R19 (from 03-30-1893 P.O. application). The post office was applied for under the name Willowoak, which the application noted was a turpentine community. Established as Amelia, May 6, 1893. Discontinued on April 18, 1895; papers to Saint Thomas. Re-established on July 2, 1895. Discontinued December 31, 1910 (Pasco). This area is now known as Darby.

Robert J. BradleyPostmaster05/06/1893
Laura V. PixtonPostmaster07/02/1895
John D. Bradley Jr.Postmaster04/04/1896
Robert A. BradleyPostmaster02/01/1897
Lillian G. JonesPostmaster11/11/1903
Susan L. BradleyPostmaster12/07/1907
Redmond J. ParkerPostmaster08/03/1910


ANCLOTE. Established September 10, 1878, in Hernando County. Anclote is located near Anclote High School, and still appears on some maps. Changed to Hillsborough County and to Pinellas County. Discontinued on October 15, 1915; mail to Tarpon Springs. According to his obituary, John M. Craver served as postmaster of Anclote from 1881 to 1889. History of Tarpon Springs by Robert Franklin Pent reports: “Mr. Morrish, an Englishman, moved in with his family and became the grocer and postmaster, Mr. Craver having moved out.”

William S. CobbPostmaster09/10/1878
John M. CraverPostmaster05/18/1880
Elisha A. HillPostmaster05/08/1893
George M. MorrishPostmaster07/29/1893
Greene MeyerPostmaster01/27/1906


ARIPEKA. NW ¼ of S01 T24 R16 (from P.O. application). Established in Hernando County on February 11, 1895. The post office application stated, “also known as Hammock Creek.” George Pine (born, 1835) is shown in the 1900 census s a photographer born in New Jersey. The original spelling may have been Aipeka. The United States Post-Office Guide for 1904, p. 366, spells the name of this town Arbeka. Changed to Pasco County around 1919-21. Miss Kolb’s name was changed to Mrs. Lizzie Belle Jackson by marriage on July 16, 1948. Louise Geiger of Aripeka recently saved and restored the 1950s post office. An article at tampabay.com is here. See also Argo and Gulf Key.

George PinePostmaster02/11/1895
Richard A. EllisPostmaster05/20/1901
John C. JeterPostmaster01/19/1909
John W. JohnsonPostmaster07/21/1909
David A. McNuttPostmaster02/10/1911
Daniel E. BurtisPostmaster03/12/1914
Harry E. ParsonsPostmaster07/16/1917
Charles N. HarnettPostmaster08/22/1919
James B. KolbPostmaster07/15/1921
Miss Lizzie Belle KolbActing Postmaster11/30/1945
Miss Lizzie Belle KolbPostmaster06/20/1946
Mrs. Myrtle S. FeslerOfficer-In-Charge06/28/1974
Mrs. Myrtle S. FeslerPostmaster08/17/1974
name?Officer-In-Charge..
Margaret A. PrasPostmaster01/23/1982
Julie WertOfficer-In-Charge..
Joseph C. LaFrancaPostmaster06/12/2004


ASHLEY. SW ¼ of S28 T24 R22 (from 02-06-1884 P.O. application). Established October 13, 1884. The post office application notes ½ mi east of river. Discontinued May 27, 1886 (Dade City). This townsite was located near Lanier Bridge.

John S. AshleyPostmasterSept. 10, 1878


BEE TREE. Established November 9, 1886. The location was S35, T24, R17, near the intersection of Hudson Avenue and Hays Road. Discontinued November 19, 1888

George W. C. LittellPostmasterNov. 09, 1886
George T. SawlerPostmasterAug. 03, 1887


BLANTON. SE ¼ of SE ¼ of S07 T24 R21 (from 08-30-1884 P.O. application). Established in Hernando County, December 17, 1884. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. Mrs. Blocker’s name was changed to Mary E. Johnson by marriage. Discontinued February 28, 1955; mail to Dade City.

Lora Blocker writes that the first post office “was located near Blanton east of Blanton Lake. In 1887, when the Orange Belt Railroad was built, the Post Office was located in the depot. Mary E. Blocker was then post mistress. The post office was later located in the home of Mary Blocker which is now know as the Tangelo Apartments. The location of the post office from 1901 to July 1905 is unknown. When E. Sanford Blocker was postmaster it was located in the back of Wilson’s Garage (directly back of Mrs. Mae McCoullough’s house today). When Sanford Blocker died in 1934, Robert Compher was postmaster and had the post office in his general store. Norman Blocker built a room onto his store for the post office when he became postmaster in 1936. This building still stands and is the home of Mrs. Mae McCoullough.”

Horace J. CharlesPostmaster12/17/1884
Mrs. Mary E. BlockerPostmaster01/15/1887
John C. LeePostmaster10/23/1901
Eugene S. BlockerPostmaster07/19/1905
Robert G. CompherActing Postmaster01/29/1934
Norman G. BlockerPostmaster01/24/1936


BRAMLETT. SE ¼ of S24 T26 R21 (from 07-19-1900 P.O. application). Established August 13, 1900 (possibly Aug. 18). Discontinued June 14, 1902; papers to Abbott. In the 1900 census, the name is spelled Virginia V. Bramlett.

Virginue V. BramlettPostmaster08/10/1900


CARMEL. NE ¼ of S26 T25 R20 (from 08-12-1885 P.O. application). Established November 4, 1885 (Map shows it in S ½ of S26). Discontinued July 28, 1886 (San Antonio)

George J. FreesePostmasterNov. 05, 1885


CEDAR. SW ¼ of S36 T23 R20 (from 09-01-1886 P.O. application). The application states 5½ mi. to Owensboro; 2½ mi. north of Chipco. Established March 4, 1887. Discontinued June 2, 1887 (Lenard).

Charles B. WalkerPostmasterJan. 1885


CEDAR TREE. NW ¼ of S23 T24 R20 (from 10-23-1867 P.O. application). The application states that the area is known locally as Pearce’s Mill — nearest Post Office is Fort Taylor. Established August 20, 1853. Discontinued March 29, 1867. Re-established October 16, 1867. Discontinued February 12, 1872.

James M. BatesPostmaster08/20/1853
Jesse H. TuckerPostmaster11/26/1858
David OsburnPostmaster10/16/1867
Daniel C. RyalsPostmaster05/09/1871


CHIPCO. SE ¼ of S13 T24 R20 (from 05-26-83 P.O. application). Established July 16, 1883 in Hernando County. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. Discontinued February 28, 1900; papers to Jessamine.

Columbus C. GantPostmaster07/16/1883
Harry K. BankstonPostmaster04/09/1884
Columbus C. GantPostmaster11/19/1884
Mary L. GantPostmaster02/04/1897


CRYSTAL SPRINGS. NE ¼ of S36 T26 R21 (from P.O. application). Established October 4, 1911. A Mar. 27, 1919, newspaper article mentioned that W. P. Brophy was the postmaster.

William H. BrophyPostmaster10/04/1911
Mrs. Margaret M. FletcherPostmaster01/14/1938
Mrs. Angie SkinnerActing Postmaster06/30/1949
Mrs. Angie SkinnerPostmaster10/17/1949
Mrs. Jaynell J. LeHeupOfficer-In-Charge10/01/1976
Jaynell J. (LeHeup) VickersPostmaster02/12/1977
Myra G. TreutelOfficer-In-Charge02/03/1984
Ronald E. CorneliusPostmaster06/23/1984


DIXIE. Established August 18, 1885, in Pasco County. SE ¼ of S05 T24 R20 (from 06-29-1896 P.O. application). Changed to Hernando County on April 9, 1907. Discontinued April 30, 1909. The list of postmasters seems not to show at least the first postmaster.

Varlera RigganPostmaster08/18/1896
Walter B. HunterPostmaster05/01/1900
Maggie L. MizellPostmaster02/17/1902
Lee J. EilandPostmaster11/28/1908


DISTON - DREXEL. S11 T26 R18 (from 02-26-1918 P.O. application). Established in Hillsborough County May 28, 1883, as Diston. Changed to Pasco County on January 20, 1888. Changed September 15, 1888 to Drexel. Discontinued April 11, 1890; papers to San Antonio. Re-established October 6, 1890. Eugenia White’s name was changed to Eugenia V. Wagner by marriage. Discontinued July 21, 1902; papers to Ehren. The USPS web site gives the date July 31, 1902. See Land O’ Lakes.

James J. HeadPostmaster05/28/1883
Joseph B. SalmonPostmaster02/05/1887
James J. HeadPostmaster01/20/1888
James J. HeadPostmaster09/15/1888
Eugenia V. WhitePostmaster06/05/1889
J. P. WagnerPostmaster03/10/1890
Eugenia V. WhitePostmaster10/06/1890
James P. WagnerPostmaster01/27/1892
George E. SherousePostmaster03/20/1896
Octavia J. SherousePostmaster04/24/1899
Persis A. StevensPostmaster08/02/1900
William M. HarrisPostmaster01/25/1902


EARNESTVILLE. NE ¼ of S21 T25 R21 (from 01-19-1885 P.O. application). Established in Hernando County, February 17, 1885. Named for Elijah Embree Earnest. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. Discontinued September 16, 1899; papers to Dade City.

Elijah E. EarnestPostmaster02/17/1885
Kate D. ClarksonPostmaster06/05/1889


EHREN - LAND O’ LAKES. NE ¼ of S31 T25 R19 (P.O. app. of 11-19-1889; s/s of OBRR). Established as Ehren on January 17, 1890. Changed September 1, 1950 to Land O’ Lakes.

James J. HeadPostmaster01/14/1890
Benjamin C. De La MaterPostmaster01/06/1893
William A. TuckerPostmaster06/16/1897
Nevada BramlittPostmaster01/18/1899
Frederick E. MullerPostmaster07/16/1900
Ransom M. WilliamsPostmaster07/07/1904
Albert M. PinkhamPostmaster04/26/1905
Sebastian S. AreyPostmaster01/25/1911
Albert S. KingstonPostmaster06/13/1911
Jennie O. PinkhamPostmaster07/18/1912
Effie C. RushPostmaster05/04/1917
William H. SuttonPostmaster11/12/1918
Frederick E. MullerActing Postmaster03/28/1921
Frederick E. MullerPostmaster04/21/1921
Henry C. DouglasPostmaster07/26/1927
Mrs. Annie May DouglasPostmaster04/03/1943
Daniel D. ClementsActing Postmaster04/30/1958
John H. DouglasActing Postmaster04/14/1961
Daniel D. ClementsActing Postmaster10/13/1961
Daniel D. ClementsPostmaster04/01/1963
William E. RaganOfficer-In-Charge05/24/1974
William E. RaganPostmaster10/26/1974
Janet M. ScofieldOfficer-In-Charge11/26/2005
Russell HollandOfficer-In-Charge04/26/2006
William H. Parrett Jr.Postmaster08/05/2006
Janet M. ScofieldOfficer-In-Charge06/21/2007


ELBA HEIGHTS. SW ¼ of S15 T24 R21 (from 08-15-1892 P.O. application). Established September 17, 1892. Discontinued August 31, 1900; papers to Dade City.

Mattie J. MillsPostmaster09/17/1892


ELFERS. SE ¼ of S17 T26 R16 (from 10-22-1909 P.O. application). Established: December 14, 1909. A 1913 newspaper article reported that the post office was in J. M. Mitchell’s store. On March 23, 1926, Mrs. Jessie L. Hudson was appointed postmaster but she declined the appointment. On March 1, 1965, the post office moved into a new building on Old Dixie Highway at Hill Street. The building was privately owned and leased to the General Services Administration. At that time, the postmaster was Mrs. Ruth L. Burney, who had moved to Elfers from Tarpon Springs in 1934. In 1965 she had no help whatsoever but whenever she was absent Mrs. Ida Carroll, the substitute clerk, took over.

Levi D. EilandPostmaster12/14/1909
Jesse M. MitchellPostmaster10/31/1911
Frieda M. EilandPostmaster03/31/1914
Albert A. KeithPostmaster01/15/1915
Mrs. Emma E. SheldonActing Postmaster08/31/1922
Mrs. Emma E. SheldonPostmaster01/24/1923
Mrs. Lou WaddyPostmaster11/26/1926
Elmer A. BoydActing Postmaster08/13/1944
Elmer A. BoydPostmaster06/13/1945
Mrs. Ruth L. BurneyActing Postmaster09/02/1960
Harry E. CathellPostmaster04/04/1968
Tom AldersonOfficer-In-Charge01/03/1985
Thomas H. Testa Jr.Postmaster04/13/1985
Cheryl RhumOfficer-In-Charge03/26/1997
Kathleen F. HorahanPostmaster09/13/1997
Marlene SheldonOfficer-In-Charge10/13/2009
Teresa CummingsOfficer-In-Charge12/04/2009


ELLERSLIE. SW ¼ of S07 T25 R22 (from 01-04-1884 P.O. application which places location at 180 ft. east of RR; 2½ mi.west of the Withlacoochee River and 2½ mi. from Richland). Established January 28, 1884. Discontinued April 30, 1887 (Dade City). Re-established December 12, 1887. Discontinued May 31, 1907; mail to Richland.

Manning R. RountreePostmaster12/12/1887
Willard F. O'NealPostmaster05/08/1888


FIVAY. NE ¼ of S11 T25 R16 (from 06-22-1904 P.O. application). Established September 23, 1904. Discontinued June 15, 1912; mail to Tucker.

Alice GreggPostmaster09/23/1904
Sallie M. PerkinsPostmaster10/02/1907
Daisy V. GowerPostmaster07/11/1911


FIVAY CITY. S12 T25 R16. This Dec. 1914 post office application noted a location ¼ mi. N. of Bear Creek. Established May 1, 1915 (rescinded).

Erma TwaddellPostmasterMay 01, 1915


FORT DADE. S29 T24 R21 (from 12-17-1885 P.O. application). Established in Benton County January 2, 1845; the postmaster appointed on that date, however, did not serve, according to the USPS web site. Discontinued October 1, 1851. Re-established November 5, 1852. Discontinued on March 29, 1867. Re-established on October 16, 1867 Discontinued December 2, 1873. Re-established on July 20, 1876 Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887 Discontinued on April 15, 1889; papers to Dade City. According to A History of Zephyrhills 1821-1921, James Gibbons was the first postmaster. He kept the post office in his home, on the site of the Dade City Business Center, formerly Lykes-Pasco Packing Co. Gibbons subsequently died, and William D. Spencer was appointed on Jan. 31, 1845. He was followed by Clement Tyner in 1848 and Capt. William Kendrick in 1849.

C. B. Taylor wrote, “Mrs. Jordan tells that when she first came to this part of the country the nearest post office was for a long time at Brooksville and it was not at all uncommon to go a month or more without getting one’s mail. Whenever anyone in the neighborhood went to the post office it was the custom to get the mail for all the neighbors and to distribute it around on their return. Before the Civil War broke out, a post office had been established at Fort Dade, the mail being brought from Brooksville every Monday, the carrier continuing on to Tampa and returning Tuesday. Everyone was greatly pleased at getting such good service and each Monday say the entire countryside gathered at the office to await the coming of the mail.”

J. A. Hendley wrote: “About the year of 1872 a post office was established at Fort Dade and Henry Ryals, the father of the late Rev. Henry Ryals, was appointed postmaster. He lived south of Lake Pasadena and kept the post office at his home. He had a cabinet made of cypress by a cabinet maker in Tampa, in which he kept the belonging of the post office. Jasper Carter now has the old cabinet at his home in Dade City. Mr. Ryals gave up the office after a time and it floated about the country just where anyone would have it, as it did not pay more than about $10.00 a year commissions. It was at one time kept by a school teacher at the school house near Indian Lake, and as mail came only on Saturdays from Brooksville on horse back, the teacher would meet the mail man and those who were looking for mail, and open the pouch and deliver the mail to them, put the balance in his pocket and take it home with him. After that R. M. Wilson, who had a store near the present ice plant, was postmaster for a time, but turned it down because the government wanted a report each three months and he thought once a year was enough. Then Mr. N. A. Carter took it and kept it in his home for several years, and then in his store, until he sold his store to Marshall and Sumner in 1883, Mr. R. J. Marshall becoming postmaster. In 1885 Mr. Carter was appointed assignee for the firm of Marshall and Sumner, and Jasper C. Carter was appointed acting postmaster. Dade City was granted a post office about this time, and as business of the section moved to Dade City after railroads came, the Fort Dade post office was abandoned about 1889.”

D. H. Moseley wrote: “The Fort Dade postoffice at that time was conducted by a Mr. Carter, at a point on the Brooksville road four miles west of Dade City. A star route from Wildwood via Brooksville brought the mail and other things that the heart and appetite craved—twice a week—Tuesday and Friday. Six or seven letters were considered a big mail, but the carrier’s buggy was never empty, all available space under the seat and other places of the vehicle contained jugs and bottles of ‘joy producing fluid.’ The mail carrier would notify the anxious recipients of mail of the proximity of the old gray horse and buggy, as he never failed to give his old trumpet a blast when he reached a hill about a mile west of Dade City.”

On Feb. 16, 1886, postmaster R. J. Marshall was arrested at Fort Dade, charged with embezzling money order funds.

William S. SpencerPostmaster01/31/1845
Clement TinerPostmaster03/24/1848
William H. KendrickPostmaster08/21/1849
William H. KendrickPostmaster11/05/1852
Clement TinerPostmaster04/12/1853
Francis W. HaganPostmaster04/25/1855
William D. EubankPostmaster02/05/1857
Francis B. HaganPostmaster11/10/1858
James ThigpenPostmaster12/29/1858
Richard W. BuckPostmaster03/06/1860
Daniel C. RialesPostmaster10/10/1867
J. W. EddyPostmaster07/20/1876
Reuben M. WilsonPostmaster09/25/1876
Newton A. CarterPostmaster01/25/1878
John R. SumnerPostmaster03/19/1883
Robert J. MarshallPostmaster01/18/1884
Newton A. CarterPostmaster02/07/1887


FORT TAYLOR. S03 T24 R19 (from 06-11-1884 P. O. application). Established August 27, 1851 (in Benton County). Discontinued December 5, 1860. Re-established December 5, 1866. Discontinued October 27, 1873. Re-established June 30, 1884. Discontinued June 12, 1885 (Brooksville).

Robert D. BradleyPostmasterAugust 27, 1851
David HopePostmasterMarch 16, 1854
Miss Emma AveryPostmasterDec. 05, 1866
E. Miller MoodyPostmasterMarch 08, 1864
Matthew E. JonesPostmasterNov. 20, 1867
James McNattPostmasterMarch 04, 1870
William L. McMinnPostmasterSept. 22, 1870
Julia A. HeislerPostmasterJune 30, 1884


GODWIN. NW ¼ of S12 T26 R19 (from 11-28-1887 P.O. application). Established March 15, 1888. Discontinued on May 31, 1915; mail to Pasco.

Jacob GodwinPostmaster03/15/1888
Matilda M. GodwinPostmaster01/13/1898
Jacob GodwinPostmaster05/12/1899
Abraham L. GodwinPostmaster07/31/1906
William P. SmithPostmaster10/24/1913


GREER. SE ¼ of SW ¼ of S23 T25 R21 (from 05-21-1900 P.O. application). Established June 22, 1900. Discontinued April 29, 1922; mail to San Antonio.

James L. GreerPostmaster06/22/1900
Lee Monroe HamiltonPostmaster09/12/1907
Mattie B. GreerPostmaster08/15/1910
Winfield W. FresherPostmaster10/21/1912
James I. StanfordPostmaster03/21/1913
Olive T. GreerPostmaster09/24/1914


GULF KEY - ARGO - GULF KEY - GULFKEY. NE ¼ of NE ¼ of S02 T24 R16 (from 1883 P.O. application). Established on Oct. 9, 1883, as Gulf Key in Hernando County. Changed November 12, 1886 to Argo. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. Changed December 24, 1892 to Gulf Key (the USPS web site gives the date Dec. 29, 1892). Changed to Gulfkey on April 17, 1895, according to the USPS web site. Discontinued January 6, 1896; papers to Aripeka.

James ArnoldPostmaster10/09/1883
Georgia A. WhiddonPostmaster09/18/1884
James H. PinkertonPostmaster11/21/1884
James H. PinkertonPostmaster11/12/1886
James G. GuthriePostmaster03/27/1890
Henry H. FlowersPostmaster07/09/1891
George W. C. LittellPostmaster10/05/1892
George W. C. LittellPostmaster12/29/1892
James GillettPostmaster04/17/1895


HATTON - DADE CITY. SW ¼ of S02 T25 R21 (from 10-21-1882 P.O. application). Established in Hernando County on October 30, 1882 as Hatton at S02 T25 R21. SE ¼ of S27 T24 R21 (from 11-28-1884 P.O. application). Minza G. Rowe (1852-1901) was a farmer; the post office was in his home. Changed December 18, 1884 to Dade City. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887.

On March 15, 2010, the Dade City post office on Church Avenue was named the Sergeant Marcus Mathes Post Office in honor of a soldier who was killed at age 26 by a mortar attack in Iraq on April 28, 2008.

Minza G. RowePostmaster10/30/1882
Minza G. RowePostmaster12/18/1884
Felix P. McElroyPostmaster11/18/1886
Oscar MeachamPostmaster05/18/1889
Reuben M. WilsonPostmaster06/15/1893
Robert E. LathamPostmaster11/08/1894
Charles T. LewisPostmaster08/08/1896
Hettie B. SpencerPostmaster10/29/1897
Johnson Y. O'NealPostmaster07/09/1914
Hettie B. SpencerActing Postmaster05/01/1919
Robert L. NallPostmaster03/09/1920
Hettie B. SpencerPostmaster04/04/1924
Wendell V. GilbertPostmaster05/23/1936
Wayne R. DickersonActing Postmaster05/31/1954
Wayne R. DickersonPostmaster06/10/1955
Alton P. SmithOfficer-In-Charge09/12/1969
Alton P. SmithPostmaster02/06/1971
Jack M. MixonOfficer-In-Charge06/29/1973
Jack M. MixonPostmaster10/27/1973
William E. RaganOfficer-In-Charge08/08/1980
Ted G. CollierPostmaster02/07/1981
Donald L. WestberryOfficer-In-Charge02/14/1984
Jeffrey L. AlstonPostmaster06/23/1984
Michael J. PortaOfficer-In-Charge03/15/2002


HERNDON. On old Seaboard railroad ¼ mile south of present day Phelps Road north of Zephyrhills. SW ¼ of NW ¼ of S27 T25 R21. Established March 15, 1886. Discontinued November 11, 1889. Re-established June 19, 1899. Discontinued October 31, 1917; mail to Dade City.

James HerndonPostmaster06/19/1899
Augustine H. RavesiesPostmaster08/02/1900
Luther HobbsPostmaster02/01/1906
Edwin M. VogtPostmaster03/06/1908
John F. StephensonPostmaster04/10/1912
Edwin M. VogtPostmaster03/25/1913


HOLIDAY. S31 T26 R16. Established January 2, 1962, as a branch of Tarpon Springs. The Dec. 26, 1968, St. Petersburg Times carries a photo of the post office with a sign reading, “U. S. POST OFFICE HOLIDAY FLORIDA,” and the caption for the photo reads, “This makes it official: Holiday Post Office.” The article shows a sign on U. S. 19 reading, “HOLIDAY.” In 1974 a new post office was constructed on Dixie Highway. In 1975 Rep. Richard Kelly persuaded postal officials to change the designation from the “Holiday Branch” of the Tarpon Springs Post Office to the “Holiday Post Office.” However, the Tarpon Springs postmaster retained administrative authority over the Holiday Post Office. On Sept. 26, 2004, a ceremony was held to rename the Holiday post office in honor of Paul Ray Smith, a soldier who died in Iraq in 2003.


HOPEVILLE. NW ¼ S33 T25 R16 (from 10-15-1878 P.O. application). Established December 2, 1878. Discontinued November 22, 1881. The post office application notes a location ½ mi. S. of Dead Cypress Creek and 2 mi. north of the Pithlachascotee River. This location is just south of Pinehill Cemetery. The contractor’s name is given as James O. Brown. J. B. or J. W. Hudson, as quoted in Hendley, wrote that the Hopeville post office was “out east of Port Richey at old man Worley’s place.” In a 1952 newspaper interview, Isaac W. Hudson Jr. recalled that one of his earliest tasks was to ride horseback after mail every Sunday, inland some seven miles to Worley Prairie, which he believed was approximately the site of Moon Lake ranch, and where the mail was brought weekly by horse and buggy from Brooksville to the postmaster, old Mr. Worley, who lived there alone. These trips ended when the Hudson post office was established.

James Washington ClarkPostmasterDec. 02, 1878
Jacob WorleyPostmasterJune 09, 1881
John A. WorleyPostmasterOctober 10, 1881


HUDSON. SW ¼ of S27 T24 R16 (from 05-04-1882 P.O. application). Applied for as Hudson’s Landing. Established May 16, 1882, as Hudson, in Hernando County. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. Discontinued on August 31, 1953; mail to New Port Richey. Re-established December 1, 1957 as a rural station of New Port Richey. Changed May 16, 1959 to rural station of Port Richey. On Aug. 1, 1978, the post office became a branch of the Port Richey post office and was manned by postal employees. Until that date, it had been a substation operated under a contract.

John W. HudsonPostmaster05/16/1882
Marquis L. MoseleyPostmaster10/12/1892
Thomas D. DurenPostmaster08/05/1902
Homer C. HendersonPostmaster04/21/1903
Mrs. Genia MoseleyPostmaster03/21/1904
George N. GoshornPostmaster04/19/1906
Joseph H. SmithPostmaster06/27/1906
Alice G. DavisActing Postmaster03/12/1921
Alice G. DavisPostmaster01/25/1922
Ruby KnowlesActing Postmaster05/04/1922
Ruby KnowlesPostmaster07/05/1922
Mrs. Tessie J. PaynePostmaster10/14/1925
Mary FrankActing Postmaster08/06/1929
Mary FrankPostmaster10/10/1929
Mrs. Della M. GayActing Postmaster11/26/1930
Mrs. Della M. GayPostmaster12/06/1930
John A. WalesActing Postmaster08/01/1938
John A. WalesPostmaster10/05/1938


JESSAMINE. NE ¼ of S11 T24 R20 (from 04-03-1888 P.O. application). Established April 21, 1888. Discontinued October 30, 1909 (Blanton).

William J. EllsworthPostmaster04/21/1888
Walter N. PikePostmaster12/21/1889
William J. EllsworthPostmaster08/18/1892
Laurence WrightPostmaster07/10/1908


KENNEY. SW ¼ of SE ¼ of S14 T26 R20 (from 10-13-1892 P.O. application). Applied for as Cairo at S14 T26 R20. Established November 24, 1902. Discontinued September 30, 1912; mail to Zephyrhills.

Ransom M. WilliamsPostmaster11/21/1902
Maggie SmithPostmaster05/27/1904
Mary E. GillettPostmaster07/27/1907
Cora B. FordPostmaster07/13/1911


KEYSTONE PARK. S31 T26 R17. Established April 2, 1884. Discontinued May 15, 1923 (Odessa).


LACOOCHEE. SE ¼ of S23 T23 R21 (from 05-04-1888 P.O. application). Established May 22, 1888. A 2009 St. Petersburg Times article identifies Wendy Williamson as the officer in charge and Frank Kelley as the postmaster.

William I. AcostaPostmaster05/22/1888
Haisting S. FurmanPostmaster11/27/1891
Charles F. BlitchPostmaster02/08/1895
John W. LesliePostmaster02/03/1896
Addie JonesPostmaster10/01/1897
Texas A. JensenPostmaster06/17/1898
Charles JensenPostmaster05/08/1914
Mrs. Mima GurganiousActing Postmaster05/23/1924
Mrs. Mima GurganiousPostmaster06/28/1924
William J. MahaffeyActing Postmaster01/01/1929
Cora E. BaldwinActing Postmaster06/10/1929
Mrs. Leona SablePostmaster02/01/1930
Mrs. Bernice ParhamPostmaster12/11/1934
Mrs. Shirley Ann BurkeOfficer-In-Charge06/30/1973
Shirley Ann (Burke) MarseePostmaster08/04/1973
Joseph C. LaFrancaOfficer-In-Charge04/29/2003
Dolly M. HunterPostmaster08/09/2003
James BrooksOfficer-In-Charge01/27/2005
Frank J. Kelley IIIPostmaster10/29/2005


LENARD. NW ¼ of SE ¼ of S32 T23 R21 (P.O. applied for as Kuster). Established in Hernando County on April 3, 1883. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. Discontinued March 15, 1900; papers to Blanton. Scott Black writes, “When Lenard declined, William S. Kuster and his brother Charles moved away and actually carried their homes with them via rollers and mulepower, both were two-story houses. Charles transported his home to Blanton, still standing immediately south of Blanton Methodist Church. William moved his home to Trilby, situated across from the Trilby Baptist Church. The late Cassie Dowling related that story. The Kuster last name was pronounced as ‘Kooster’ by the oldtimers. I found William and Laura Kuster buried in St Pete. He died at Trilby, but a niece in St Pete arranged for his immediate transport and burial down there. His widow, Laura, later built a smaller home in Trilby, but lived out her last years in the Masonic Widows’ Home in St Pete, probably under the oversight of that same niece.” William Kuster later served as postmaster of Trilby and was appointed postmaster of San Antonio in 1892 but declined the appointment.

William S. KusterPostmaster04/03/1883
Charles F. KusterPostmaster04/19/1890


LOYCE. NE ¼ of S09 T24 R18 (P.O. applied for as Big Prairie, 09-13-1884; granted as Loyce). Established January 12, 1885. Discontinued January 12, 1887 (Brooksville). Re-established December 5, 1910. Discontinued April 30, 1920; mail to Tucker.

William R. McNattPostmaster12/05/1910
Mrs. A. L. BrownPostmaster10/21/1912


LUMBERTON. NE ¼ of SE ¼ of S31 T25 R22 (from 01-24-1898 P.O. application). Established March 21, 1898. Discontinued December 31, 1905; mail to Richland.

James H. PedrickPostmaster03/21/1898
James R. IngramPostmaster01/08/1903
Thomas E. ScottPostmaster12/27/1904
James H. PedrickPostmaster10/05/1905


McLEOD - MACON - TRILBY. NE ¼ of S27 T23 R21 (Trilby) (from 12-01-1884 P.O. application). Established January 6, 1885 as McLeod, in Hernando County. Changed January 29, 1885 to Macon. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. Changed January 17, 1901 to Trilby. Mrs. Hancock’s name was changed to Mrs. Myrtie E. Thomas by marriage on October 30, 1961. Marlene S. Nichols’ surname changed to Sheldon on June 17, 2006. A 2003 St. Petersburg Times article is here.

The information in this paragraph was provided by Scott Black. Harrison K. Bankston was a Confederate veteran from Mississippi. He died at Trilby in 1922 (although his gravestone gives the year as 1923) and his wife, Alice, was later buried next to him. Richard H. Pitts was born in Mississippi and died at Trilby in 1950. His wife, Mary, survived him by several years and they are both buried in our cemetery. Hattie E. Tyer was buried here next to her husband, Darley, when she died in 1970 at her son’s home in Sebring. Myrtie E. Hancock-Thomas, originally from North Carolina and the longest serving postmaster, died in Jacksonville in 2004 and was buried here between her first husband, David Hancock, and her second husband, John Thomas. Stephen Weeks was a school board member and was buried in Tampa. Alexander M. Galaher and William S. Kuster were both buried in St. Petersburg. Enoch W. Gideons was buried at Linden. D. Guy Allen was buried in Sanford. Walter E. and Eunice E. Trunnell, husband and wife, were buried in Dade City. Allyne H. Withers was buried in Madison County. James Gregg O’Berry was buried in Dade City.

Harrison K. BankstonPostmaster01/06/1885
Harrison K. BankstonPostmaster01/29/1885
Stephen WeeksPostmaster04/18/1896
Alexander M. GalaherPostmaster05/23/1900
Alexander M. GalaherPostmaster01/17/1901
William S. KusterPostmaster06/27/1903
Richard H. PittsPostmaster09/21/1912
Enoch W. GideonsPostmaster09/11/1914
D. Guy AllenPostmaster05/25/1915
Walter D. TrunnellPostmaster10/08/1919
Mrs. Audrey V. WithersActing Postmaster12/19/1925
Mrs. Audrey V. WithersPostmaster01/19/1926
Hattie TyerActing Postmaster02/05/1930
James G. O'BerryPostmaster06/04/1931
Eunice E. TrunnellActing Postmaster09/26/1933
Walter D. TrunnellPostmaster03/28/1934
Mrs. Eunice E. TrunnellActing Postmaster04/24/1942
Mrs. Myrtie E. HancockActing Postmaster09/30/1942
Mrs. Myrtie E. HancockPostmaster03/25/1943
Mrs. Lillie M. CoueyOfficer-In-Charge05/28/1971
Mrs. Lillie M. CoueyPostmaster03/17/1973
name?Officer-In-Charge..
Hollie M. WrightPostmaster08/20/1994
Tamie B. BrayOfficer-In-Charge03/23/2000
Clint WrightOfficer-In-Charge08/30/2000
Joseph C. La FrancaOfficer-In-Charge01/05/2001
Elaine RyanOfficer-In-Charge02/07/2001
Thomas A. Speer IIIOfficer-In-Charge05/14/2001
Rhinda L. KnoxOfficer-In-Charge08/31/2001
Joseph C. La FrancaOfficer-In-Charge10/01/2001
Joseph C. La FrancaPostmaster11/03/2001
Pauline HuntOfficer-In-Charge08/13/2004
Kim GibsonOfficer-In-Charge04/19/2005
Marlene S. (Nichols) SheldonPostmaster07/23/2005


MAYFLOWER. SE ¼ of S10 T24 R17 (from 10-24-1892 P.O. application). Established December 2, 1892. Discontinued July 21, 1898; papers to Hudson.

Henry H. FlowersPostmaster12/03/1892
Mary C. ShayPostmaster12/14/1895
Berry F. HerringtonPostmaster12/30/1897


MILLARD. SW ¼ S15 T26 R22 (from 12-23-1884 P.O. application). Eddie Herrmann believes that the Millard post office was in Pasco County, but later the postmaster notified the Postmaster General that he was then in Polk County. Maps from the era show a changing boundary line at the southeast corner of Pasco County.


MYRTLE. SE ¼ of S29 T26 R19 (from 06-29-1893 P.O. application). Established July 24, 1893. Discontinued October 15, 1914; mail to Lutz.

Mary E. WhitmanPostmaster07/24/1893
Thomas C. WhitmanPostmaster05/23/1895
Miles M. BezedekActing Postmaster06/20/1914


NEEDMORE. NW ¼ of S21 T24 R17 (from 01-29-1909 P.O. application). Established May 14, 1909. Discontinued December 15, 1910.

Josiah S. Weeks Jr.Postmaster05/14/1909


NEW PORT RICHEY. NE ¼ of S05 T26 R16 (from 02-20-1915 P.O. application). Established June 29, 1915.

In an article in the New Port Richey Press of Jan. 27, 1921, Gerben DeVries recounted the founding of the New Port Richey post office.

Six or seven years ago there was no post office here—there was no New Port Richey, in fact. Those of us who lived in this part got our mail from Port Richey. No direct road connected what is now New Port Richey and Port Richey. There was an old wagon trail by way of the Casson house and the old Clark grove, and there was a shorter woods path along what is now Madison street, thence on through the Casson place, and coming out at the point where the Herms floral gardens are now located. The other route was by row boat down the river. We generally took the latter, and caught our supper and breakfast by trauling as we went. I remember one day I caught 36 trout and jack fish trauling to Port Richey after the mail. Generally the one who went got the mail for the rest of the bunch. He was also expected to bring back two fish for each letter. If there were a dozen letters it was up to him to catch 24 fish. As we increased in population we tired of this. It was reasoned that the Star Route carrier might just as well return to Tarpon Springs on this side of the river, and leave our mail in boxes instead of going back on the other side over the Old Post Road. So we set apart a day and cleared a road through the Hill place (now the Casson farm) and down part of what is now Madison street; and along this route we put up our mail boxes. But the carrier, Driver by name, had a will of his own which we had not reckoned with, and he would not accept this as his routing, hence all our work went for nothing. This disappointment, however, did not peeve us. We said, “If we cannot be served by carrier from Port Richey we will get a postoffice of our own.” It was suggested by the Port Richey Company, by Mr. Holzscheiter and others that I circulate two petitions, one for a postoffice here, the other for my being appointed postmaster. I really did not consider the job worth having, but the Port Richey Company, by whom I was then employed, said I could put the postoffice in their office building, which was then standing in the middle of Main street, surrounded by saw-palmetto, and they would not deduct anything from my wages for the time consumed in taking care of the mail. Under these conditions, then, I set about getting everybody south of the Herms property to sign the petitions. They were presented with about 80 names, as I remember, the one seeking appointment as postmaster being the duplicate of the other so far as signatures were concerned. In due time the petitions were acted upon, and I was examined for the important position of postmaster. But a delay occurred in establishing the office on account of our not choosing a suitable name. The department contended that since there was already a Newport Florida and a Port Richey, Florida Newport-Richey would lead to errors and confusion. Quite a number then favored calling the place Chascotee, after the latter part of our river’s name. This, too was considered unsuitable by the land company and many of us settlers, who had done so much advertising under the name of Port Richey. We got in touch with our congressman—Hon. Mr. Sparkman, and on his suggestion, got up another petition, asking that the place be named New Port Richey, dividing “Newport” into two words. After some correspondence the department accepted this naming. A copy of this petition is now on file in the Avery Library and Historical Society’s rooms, with the original signatures copied. I received my commission as postmaster dated July 21st, 1915, but, as I did not at once receive my supplies and regulations, the office was not established until August 30th, 1915.
In 1965 Ralph Bellwood wrote:
The first Post Office was located in a building near the corner of Main Street and the Boulevard. The facilities for the Fourth Class Post Office consisted of a wooden shipping box which was divided into fifteen small compartments or “pigeon holes” where mail was placed in alphabetical order after being sorted, and from which it was handed out over a counter when called for by patrons.

In the due course of time the facilities were moved to more spacious quarters at the corner of Main and Adams Streets in a building where the New Port Richey Press was born and published on a hand operated press. After a number of years the facilities were again moved to a building in the middle of the block between the Boulevard and Adams Street. At this time the Arcade Building was being erected and upon its completion the Post Office was moved into the north west quarter of the large building. It remained there until 1959 when it was moved into the present building south of Orange Lake on Circle Boulevard.

After serving as Postmaster for twenty years, during which time the Post Office was raised to second class, Mr. DeVries retired from his position. Then a prominent man by the name of Fred Frierson was appointed to the position of Postmaster. After serving for four years, Frierson resigned and was replaced by Bob Sims who served as Acting Postmaster for nearly a year until Paul Mayer was appointed Postmaster in 1940. Mr. Mayer occupied this position for twenty-four years, retiring from it January 31, 1964. During Mr. Mayor’s tenure in office the Post Office became First Class. City delivery was begun March 16, 1955. A rural route covering approximately eighty miles served patrons in a large area. In 1963 a second rural route was established which enlarged the area of service in all directions.

In 1938 Frierson was relieved of his duties by a post office inspector. In November 1938 he pled guilty to embezzling $2,810 in postal funds. During his term of office, Frierson instituted a Sunday mail service and was instrumental in having two mail deliveries per day during the winter months.

Gerben M. DeVriesPostmaster06/29/1915
Frederic C. FriersonActing Postmaster06/22/1935
Frederic C. FriersonPostmaster08/15/1935
Charles E. SnellActing Postmaster05/19/1938
Paul G. J. MayerPostmaster08/04/1939
Robert W. LanpharActing Postmaster01/31/1964
Warren W. Hartman Jr.Postmaster08/26/1965
Roger TetreaultActing Postmaster08/19/1968
Tex M. MitchellPostmaster03/20/1971
Terry WrightOfficer-In-Charge..
Cliff A. KurelmeyerPostmaster10/26/1985
Terry WrightOfficer-In-Charge06/01/1989
Gregory A. JacksonOfficer-In-Charge10/02/1989
Gregory A. JacksonPostmaster11/03/1990
Kathleen HorahanOfficer-In-Charge11/13/1997
Edward J. HaabOfficer-In-Charge11/21/1998
Rae M. DiCapuaPostmaster02/27/1999
Russell P. HollandOfficer-In-Charge12/29/2005
Debra A. GornikPostmaster04/15/2006
Russell P. HollandOfficer-In-Charge04/16/2007
Russell P. HollandOfficer-In-Charge07/07/2007
Christopher B. TerhunePostmaster10/27/2007
Russell P. HollandPostmaster07/19/2008


ODESSA. NW ¼ of S27 T26 R17 (from 01-31-1900 P.O. application). Established May 22, 1900. The Post Office was recommended by Postmaster Allen D. Connell of Keystone Park. Peter Strand was recommended to be the first Postmaster and was appointed May 22, 1900, The first location was 60 yards to the south of the ACL Railroad near the present Old Gunn Highway. The second location was the commissary at the W. H. Dowling Mill. By 1915, it had moved to the express office at Gulf Pine, which was located on the Tampa and Gulf Coast Railroad Line. The next location was the commissary of Lyon Pine Mill about 100 yards to the south. After the mills moved, the office moved one mile to the north at a building near the intersection of Old Gunn Highway and Church St. During this period, the office was fourth class and usually moved near where the postmaster lived or worked, as it was not a full-time job. The next move was about 500 yards to the north to the old general store at Gunn Highway and Denham Rd. The next location was a small building 100 yards to the south on Old Gunn Highway. The office was upgraded to third class and the next move was to an office on the west side of the stores later owned by M. Fleming. The office was upgraded to second class and a new office was built on the east side of the same store. Rural delivery started in December 1925 with the first carrier being Lewis Hatton. This route was 25 miles long and served by horseback three times a week. The second rural route was added in 1967 with a third in 1974. The new building location resulted in a daily reduction of 11.2 miles of distance traveled by rural carriers. Because the center of population had shifted, the location of the Odessa post office was moved to Hillsborough County on October 8, 1977. It is now at 8602 Tarpon Springs Rd., just west of Gunn Highway. In Feb. 1922 Tom E. Chaires was arrested by Post Office Inspectors on a charge of embezzlement of $4,000 in postal funds. He was taken to the jail at Tampa and was to be arraigned before a federal grand jury. A newspaper identifies the acting postmaster appointed to replace him as Miss Donna McFarland.

Peter M. StrandPostmaster05/22/1900
Reason HendersonPostmaster05/29/1901
Joseph W. CollierPostmaster04/05/1904
Charles H. LutzPostmaster06/01/1906
John M. YoungPostmaster02/25/1911
Clarence O. HartPostmaster08/31/1912
Lloyd J. MatlockPostmaster01/14/1914
Joshua C. HarleyPostmaster07/06/1915
Rozzielie JohnsonPostmaster05/31/1916
Tom E. ChairesPostmaster03/02/1917
Donnie R. McFarlandActing Postmaster02/08/1922
Edward RobertsPostmaster08/29/1922
Miss Elsie M. WillisActing Postmaster10/09/1939
Miss Elsie M. WillisPostmaster02/27/1940
Warren L. TylerActing Postmaster10/10/1941
Mrs. Rilla F. JonesPostmaster03/06/1943
Mrs. Annie L. JacksonActing Postmaster03/13/1945
Mrs. Annie L. JacksonPostmaster05/09/1946
Mrs. Edna R. MyersActing Postmaster07/31/1959
Mrs. Edna R. MyersPostmaster09/07/1961
Mrs. Freida M. CannonOfficer-In-Charge01/11/1974
Charles R. WilsonPostmaster04/13/1974
Paul E. Zaremba Jr.Postmaster05/07/1988
Terry L. FranklinPostmaster01/09/1993
Elizabeth A. ScheidterOfficer-In-Charge04/12/2008
Elizabeth A. ScheidterPostmaster08/29/2009


OWENSBORO. SE ¼ of S34 T23 R21 (from 10-16-1885 P.O. application). Established in Hernando County on April 14, 1886. Changed to PASCO COUNTY on June 2, 1887. Discontinued on June 16, 1899; papers to Lacoochee. Re-established July 7, 1902. Discontinued on October 15, 1906; mail to Trilby

Frederick L. BridgePostmaster04/14/1886
Robert J. McCutcheonPostmaster04/03/1888
Charles H. LutzPostmaster02/18/1889
John G. DellingerPostmaster02/04/1897
William E. BrownPostmaster05/31/1898
Annie KeithPostmaster07/07/1902


PASADENA. NE ¼ of S10 T25 R21 (from 06-05-1889 P.O. application). Established July 15, 1889. On Nov. 11, 1897, the San Antonio Herald reported that A. M. Walter was appointed postmaster of Pasadena. Discontinued April 30, 1911; mail to Dade City.

James H. NeffPostmaster07/15/1889
Elijah E. EarnestPostmaster10/26/1893
Arpie M. WallerPostmaster11/06/1897
Peter D. PalmerPostmaster11/21/1898
John B. PaxtonPostmaster05/04/1900
Charles B. YalePostmaster11/29/1904
Pauline L. MuirheadPostmaster03/27/1906
Mae L. NationsPostmaster12/24/1906
Laura F. StewartPostmaster04/23/1908
Earnest TomorPostmaster12/02/1908
Laura F. StewartPostmaster09/12/1911


PASCO. SW ¼ of NW ¼ of S08 T25 R20 (from P.O. application). Established August 2, 1889. Discontinued November 30, 1918; mail to San Antonio.

George G. McKendreePostmaster08/02/1889
John EllisonPostmaster11/19/1892
Levi Allen VaughnPostmaster03/25/1895
Eli T. VaughnPostmaster07/15/1895
Nehemiah L. VaughnPostmaster06/04/1900
William B. SmithPostmaster03/08/1902
George W. HalsemaPostmaster11/27/1903
Nehemiah L. VaughnPostmaster05/04/1905
Felix S. McKendreePostmaster12/06/1906
Louise BragdonPostmaster04/11/1911
Emma A. WooddellPostmaster02/20/1917


PEDRICK - FLATFORD. NW ¼ of S09 T26 R22 (from 04-14-1890 P.O. application). Established May 6, 1891 as Pedrick. Changed April 26, 1892 to Flatford. Discontinued July 6, 1896; papers to Richland.

James H. PedrickPostmaster05/06/1891
James H. PedrickPostmaster04/26/1892


PINAN. Originally applied for as Blue Pond. SW 1/4 of S 28 T 23 R 21. Approved May 25, 1880. Discontinued March 30, 1881. This post office was located immediately west of Trilby and served the local area before the McLeod/Macon/Trilby post office was established. According to Scott Black, the sole postmaster, William C. McLeod, was originally from Georgia. He died here in 1886, although his gravestone shows 1885. He was a veteran of both the Florida Indian Wars and the War Between the States. His second wife, Tomsey Ann, was buried next to him a few years later.

William C. McLeodPostmaster1880


PLEASANT PLAINS. This is quite possibly the long-sought “26-mile house”. NW ¼ of S07 T26 R 19 [from 04-23-1878 P. O. app. where it was noted to be 26 mi. south of Brooksville and 21 mi. southwest of Fort Dade.] The area is now known as Land O’ Lakes. Established February 10, 1879, with postmaster Anna Weckter. Discontinued September 17, 1879.

James H. PedrickPostmasterFebruary 10, 1879


PORT RICHEY. SE ¼ of S30 T25 R16 (from May 1884 P.O. application). Established in Hernando County, July 9, 1884. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. On March 9, 1954, the St. Petersburg Times reported, “A rumor circulated during the last few months that the Port Richey post office would be discontinued and its service consolidated with the New Port Richey post office was squelched in a notice from U. S. Postmaster General Summerfield. The notice, assuring continuation of the office, was in answer to a petition signed by 300 Port Richey citizens.” In 1974 a new post office building was constructed on Washington Street, just south of the earlier post office.

Aaron M. RicheyPostmaster07/09/1884
James W. ClarkPostmaster03/28/1892
David H. ClarkPostmaster01/14/1909
Rubie E. NicksPostmaster01/24/1911
David H. ClarkPostmaster07/20/1912
Emma E. SheldonPostmaster07/06/1916
M. Leroy BaileyActing Postmaster05/03/1920
M. Leroy BaileyPostmaster08/20/1920
Cyrl R. RanksActing Postmaster10/31/1948
Thomas R. HillsamerPostmaster02/26/1951
Howard L. PottsActing Postmaster05/20/1960
Mrs. Marie F. SpringerActing Postmaster07/29/1960
A. Edward HoytPostmaster04/01/1963
Mrs. Lois D. BarefordActing Postmaster04/30/1968
Mrs. Marie F. SpringerActing Postmaster05/31/1968
Mrs. Marie F. SpringerPostmaster10/04/1968
Myron R. RandelsOfficer-In-Charge01/12/1979
Charles R. WilsonOfficer-In-Charge07/13/1979
Edward M. StahlPostmaster01/26/1980
Betteann G. ForkelOfficer-In-Charge08/09/1984
James F. MitchellPostmaster11/24/1984
Douglas C. PollardOfficer-In-Charge11/03/2007
Douglas C. PollardPostmaster07/19/2008


SAGANO. NW ¼ of S13 T24 R17 (from 1902 P.O. application). Established March 6, 1902. Discontinued May 31, 1913; mail to Loyce.

Eddie H. SweatPostmaster03/06/1902
Henry E. PritchettPostmaster08/14/1903
Beulah B. McNattPostmaster11/21/1904
Joel H. HerringPostmaster04/07/1909
Amy L. BrownPostmaster06/13/1911


SAINT JOSEPH. SW ¼ of S23 T24 R20 (from 04-20-1893 P.O. application). Established May 8, 1893. Discontinued November 15, 1918; mail to Dade City.

Bernard BarthlePostmaster05/08/1893
George W. HalsemaPostmaster08/17/1900
Romeo StuntebeckPostmaster05/25/1901
Andrew BarthlePostmaster05/26/1902


SAINT LEO. SW ¼ of S01 T25 R20 (from 09-26-1890 P.O. application). Established October 18, 1890.

Frater CharlesPostmaster10/18/1890
Charles H. MoorePostmaster09/06/1895
Francis SadlierActing Postmaster04/14/1931
Francis SadlierPostmaster10/29/1931
David William GormicanActing Postmaster02/28/1955
David William GormicanPostmaster03/14/1957
Bro. Joachim J. SvetloskyActing Postmaster06/02/1967
Bro. Joachim J. SvetloskyPostmaster07/23/1968
Heiskel B. ChristmasOfficer-In-Charge08/21/1970
Heiskel B. ChristmasPostmaster04/03/1971
Luicile E. HarmerOfficer-In-Charge06/16/1978
Mrs. Sandra L. HarveyPostmaster01/13/1979
Sheila BistonOfficer-In-Charge07/07/2000
Dolly M. HunterOfficer-In-Charge10/25/2000
Dolly M. HunterPostmaster12/02/2000
Linda BurbageOfficer-In-Charge08/08/2003
Carole PettyOfficer-In-Charge11/04/2003
Cheryl E. MoffittOfficer-In-Charge12/02/2003
Cheryl E. MoffittPostmaster08/21/2004
Edward E. ColemanOfficer-In-Charge04/30/2008
Lia H. WilliamsOfficer-In-Charge06/18/2008
Vivian E. HallOfficer-In-Charge08/02/2008
Beth A. AkerOfficer-In-Charge01/02/2009
Penny S. BenzonOfficer-In-Charge01/16/2010


SAINT THOMAS. NE ¼ of S28 T24 R20 (from 11-08-1884 P.O. application). Established on January 2, 1885, in Hernando County. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. Discontinued May 31, 1907; mail to Saint Joseph.

Thomas LucasPostmaster01/02/1885


SECURITY. NE ¼ S22 T26 R15 (from 04-23-1900 P.O. application). The post office was applied for as Baker. Established July 16, 1900, as Security. The first postmaster was Otis Baker, according to R. F. Pent in The History of Tarpon Springs. Discontinued December 31, 1908.

Samuel B. BakerPostmaster07/16/1900
Wyatt J. MeyerPostmaster09/28/1901
Charles V. HallPostmaster04/02/1908


SHINGLETON. SE ¼ of S20 T25 R19 (from 12-??-1897 P.O. application). Established January 17, 1898. Discontinued October 15, 1901; papers to Pasco.

Benjamin C. De La MaterPostmaster01/17/1898


SUMNER - SAN ANTONIO - LAKE JOVITA - SAN ANTONIO. SE ¼ of S02 T25 R20 (from 10-26-1882 P.O. application). Post Office was sought under the name of Clear Lake. This name was denied with a note saying to request a “short name of one word.” Established on November 27, 1882 as Sumner, in Hernando County. Changed December 19, 1882 to San Antonio. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. Mary Govreau’s name was changed to Mary E. Hancock by marriage on January 28, 1916. Changed November 1, 1926 to Lake Jovita. Changed August 1, 1931 to San Antonio. See also: Carmel, Drexel, Greer, Pasco, and Shingleton.

Rodolphus A. BrownPostmaster11/27/1882
Rodolphus A. BrownPostmaster12/19/1882
Paul R. GailmardPostmaster12/13/1886
William H. EdwardsPostmaster01/22/1890
John R. OsburnPostmaster07/11/1892
Thomas J. O'NeillPostmaster09/16/1893
Frank E. CarrollPostmaster10/09/1897
Mary E. GovreauPostmaster04/20/1914
Frank E. CarrollPostmaster10/02/1919
Mrs. Nellie P. PerryActing Postmaster09/01/1924
Mrs. Nellie P. PerryPostmaster12/20/1924
Mrs. Nina KovarikActing Postmaster10/09/1933
Mrs. Nina KovarikPostmaster08/11/1934
Mrs. Ollie Mae SwansonActing Postmaster02/28/1951
Frank John Hill Jr.Acting Postmaster08/15/1953
Frank John Hill Jr.Postmaster07/28/1954
Carolyn W. PattieOfficer-In-Charge10/28/1982
Martin L. FutchPostmaster02/05/1983
Kathy BoydOfficer-In-Charge11/23/1994
Phillip Puleo Jr.Postmaster11/25/1995
Cheryl A. YebbaOfficer-In-Charge08/17/2004
Cheryl A. YebbaPostmaster10/16/2004


TRAVELERS REST. S08 T24 R20. A retirement community NW of Lake Iola. Mail for Travelers Rest comes to the Dade City post office. It is sent in a mailsack to the community and sorted there. This service began 03-23-1973.


TUCKER - GREENFIELD. SE ¼ of S08 T25 R18 (from 12-20-1897 P.O. application). SE ¼ of S33 T24 R18 (from P.O. application). Established February 10, 1908 as Tucker. Changed July 6, 1923 to Greenfield. Discontinued September 30, 1933; mail to Brooksville.

Edward H. BakerPostmaster02/10/1908
Eugenia C. PearcePostmaster08/23/1909
Randal A. RewissPostmaster06/22/1911
Thomas B. StevensPostmaster03/21/1913
Millard W. ThompsonPostmaster04/14/1916
Joseph C. BrignoloActing Postmaster10/11/1921
Joseph C. BrignoloPostmaster09/27/1922
Joseph C. BrignoloPostmaster07/06/1923
Bessie CostakisActing Postmaster12/02/1924
Bessie CostakisPostmaster01/19/1925
Mrs. Frances GiffordActing Postmaster03/20/1926
Mrs. Frances GiffordPostmaster06/21/1926


TUCKERTOWN - RICHLAND. NE ¼ of NW ¼ of S30 T25 R22 (from 1886 P.O. application). Established October 5, 1876 as Tuckertown, in Hernando County. J. A. Hendley gives Oscar Meacham as the first postmaster. Discontinued August 16, 1878. Re-established June 28, 1880. Changed July 17, 1886 to Richland. Changed to Pasco County on June 2, 1887. Discontinued November 30, 1948; mail to Zephyrhills. Also see Ellerslie, Flatford, Pedrick.

Daniel F. ClementPostmaster10/05/1876
Dan T. ClementsPostmaster06/28/1880
James D. ReddingPostmaster02/05/1884
James D. ReddingPostmaster07/17/1886
Belle RizerPostmaster07/17/1889
William B. SmithPostmaster10/26/1893
Gilbert A. EvansPostmaster05/26/1897
Samuel D. AmermanPostmaster05/18/1900
William MotePostmaster05/14/1902
John C. WellsPostmaster03/28/1903
Zadock V. EnnisPostmaster02/05/1904
William MotePostmaster04/12/1904
Thomas H. MiltonPostmaster04/09/1908
Thomas N. MiltonPostmaster02/17/1909
Austin M. TuckerPostmaster10/20/1913
Mrs. Gena A. WellsPostmaster12/06/1916
Frank H. BryanActing Postmaster05/20/1921
Nels E. JohnsonPostmaster10/03/1921
Mrs. Beulah StewartPostmaster10/26/1938
Mrs. Rose HaynesPostmaster06/10/1942
Mrs. Florence B. HylandActing Postmaster07/31/1945
Mrs. Florence B. HylandPostmaster01/18/1946


TWIN LAKES. Established August 29, 1884, in Hernando County. Changed to Pasco County at S05 T24 R20, Nov. 18, 1889, according to research by Eddie Herrmann, or on Nov. 26, 1889, according to the USPS web site. Discontinued January 29, 1895; papers to Jessamine.

William F. JacksonPostmaster08/29/1884
John H. ReillyPostmaster10/19/1889
John H. ReillyPostmaster11/26/1889
Charles E. GreggPostmaster10/30/1894


WESLEY. NW ¼ of S08 T26 R20 (from 09-15-1896 P.O. application) Established September 15, 1897 (P.O. app. for Lemon 09-15-1896). Discontinued September 30, 1902; papers to Abbott.

Elisabeth F. SmithPostmaster09/16/1897
Abraham L. GodwinPostmaster10/17/1900
Ephraim B. CooperPostmaster03/25/1902


WESLEY CHAPEL. On June 15, 2007, the St. Petersburg Times reported that Wesley Chapel had one contract post office, on Boyette Road at State Road 54, with 2,000 square feet and barely enough parking spaces for 10 cars. The newspaper identified Kelly Rossi as the postmaster.


WHEELER. NE ¼ of S02 T24 R16 (from P.O. application). Established December 9, 1898. Discontinued May 15, 1902; papers to Enville, in Hernando County.

George W. C. LittellPostmaster12/09/1898
Walter B. LittellPostmaster05/10/1900


Return to front page