HISTORY OF EDUCATION IN PASCO COUNTY
See some pictures from Blanton here. This page was last revised on July 12, 2017.
Hernando County school records show that the Spring Valley school was established on Sept. 29, 1879. Trustees were C. G. Gant, W. L. Osborn, and J. M. O’Berry. The teacher was N. M. Moody. The Spring Valley school was probably located between Blanton and Jessamine.
On Oct. 6, 1884, the Hernando County School Board approved a request by the trustees of the Spring Valley school to change the location and name of the school to Blanton. This new school was located east of the present community and Lake Blanton in a small frame building. According to information provided by Lora Blocker, it was the first school built with lumber in Hernando County.
The 1886-87 Florida State Gazetteer shows R. M. Ray as the teacher.
School board minutes of Sept. 5, 1887, show Blanton School, no. 7, with trustees James R. O’Berry, W. N. Dowling, and Jno. O’Berry.
School board minutes of Dec. 3, 1888, show Blanton School, no. 7, with a total enrollment of 50 pupils and an average attendance of 30.
According to Lora Blocker, some of the first teachers were: Mrs. Minerva Murphy, Charles Copenhaver, Blackburn Wray, and Mrs. Edmund Blocker. Edmond O’Berry was the substitute teacher.
On. Aug. 8, 1889, J. R. O’Berry was appointed teacher at Blanton school, no. 7.
On Aug. 7, 1893, J. D. Sims was recommended as supervisor. Mrs. Laura Johnston was appointed on condition of examination by the board.
On July 1, 1895, Mrs. Jno. B. Johnston was appointed teacher at Blanton school, no. 7.
On Aug. 1, 1898, J. W. Platt was appointed teacher at Blanton school, no. 13.
On July 1, 1901, Cooper Stanley appointed the teacher.
On Aug. 6, 1903, Alna Gregg appointed the teacher.
In August 1904 Ida Govereau was appointed the teacher.
School board minutes of March 6, 1905, have: “On motion Mr. R. M. Williams was appointed trustee of Blanton School No. 13, to fill vacancy caused by removal of Mr. Harald. On motion Blanton school was ordered to close March 7th at the end of 6 months and one week, and teacher to draw pay for full time taught.”
School board minutes of May 22, 1905, report that the trustees and patrons of schools #13 and #14 (Blanton) presented a petition asking the board to consolidate those schools in one grammar school at Blanton with two teachers. On motion the board granted the petition and appropriated $100 to help out in building. A building committee composed of W. F. Haycock, R. M. Williams, and S. H. O’Berry was appointed.
According to Lora Blocker, in 1905 a large two-story school was built in the town of Blanton on land donated by John and Mary O’Berry on what is now Sweetwater Road. Mr. O’Hara was its first teacher. He later returned to Blanton and lived with his family, teaching there until about 1922. During that time Mrs. Buck served as primary teacher. (School board minutes of Nov. 6, 1905, list a teacher named G. W. O’Hara, school not named.)
School board minutes of July 3, 1905, show that the board agreed to sell the 1884 Blanton School east of the lake on the first Monday in August to the highest bidder.
On Sept. 4, 1905, the minutes show that the schoolhouse was sold for $36.
School board minutes of May 8, 1906, report that trustees elected for Blanton were S. (?) H. O”Berry, J. M. O’Berry, and L. B. Bessenger.
School board minutes of Aug. 6, 1906, report that W. F. Hancock was awarded a contract to paint the Blanton school house for the sum of $48.75. On Sept. 3, 1906, the minutes reported that the painting of the Blanton school house was deferred until the close of the school term.
School board minutes of Oct. 1, 1906, identify the teacher at school no. 13 as B. H. Stewart.
School board minutes of April 2, 1907, identify the teachers at school no. 13 as Edna Earl Howell and Lula Burkett.
School board minutes of Oct. 8, 1907, show that the school board insured the Blanton School.
School board minutes of Mar. 7, 1909, identify Eugenia M. Shumate as the teacher at school no. 13.
On Aug. 2, 1909, Eugenia Shumate was appointed.
School board minutes of Mar. 7, 1910, identify E. L. or E. C. Haddock and Grace Roberts as teachers at school no. 13.
School board minutes of Apr. 4, 1910, identify Eugenia Shumate as a teacher at school no. 13.
A 1915-16 directory shows Miss Eugenia Shumate as the teacher at the Blanton School, with 29 students enrolled.
On Feb. 7, 1919, a newspaper article mentions Professor Buchanan, principal of the Blanton school.
School board minutes of April 1919 identify Cephas Geiger as a teacher at school no. 13, Blanton.
On July 5, 1921, Miss Mattie Lou Mayo was appointed the teacher.
On June 16, 1926, H. A. Hammer was appointed the teacher.
On Apr. 8, 1927, the Dade City Banner reported that Miss Mary Lou St. Clair was appointed teacher of the Primary Department of the Blanton school to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Mrs. Prudence Getty.
On July 2, 1928, H. A. Hammer and Mrs. Lula Hancock were appointed teachers.
On July 3, 1930, Mrs. Lula Hancock was appointed as a teacher.
On June 15, 1931, Lula Hancock was appointed.
On Aug. 31, 1931, Louise O’Neal was appointed.
On June 4, 1934, Mrs. Freida Eiland was appointed.
On May 20, 1935, Mrs. Mrs. Freida Eiland was appointed.
On Dec. 21, 1936, Mrs. Louise Blocker was appointed music teacher.
On Aug. 2, 1937, Maude O’Berry was appointed.
On Sept. 8, 1937, Louise Blocker was appointed music teacher.
On June 6, 1938, Maude O’Berry was appointed a teacher and Louis Blocker was appointed music teacher.
On July 5, 1938, Vera Goodwin was appointed.
On May 8, 1940, Miss Marguerite Branas was appointed a teacher.
On May 19, 1941, Miss Marguerite Branas was appointed a teacher.
On June 7, 1943, Myra O’Berry was appointed.
On Aug. 16, 1943, Cora Mickler was appointed.
On Aug. 17, 1944, the school board voted to discontinue the Blanton School. The building eventually became the property of Blanton Civic Club. According to the Blanton web site, the school building was torn down due to decay around 1963.